BEEF & GREEN OLIVE STEW
- Total Recipe Time: LOW 6 to 8 hours
- Makes 6-8 servings
- Combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon flour mixture. Lightly coat beef with remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stock pot over medium heat. Brown beef in batches; adding additional 1 tablespoon oil as necessary. Set aside.
- Add onions, oregano and fennel seeds to stock pot; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add wine to pot; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 minute or until browned bits attached to pot are dissolved. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and reserved flour mixture. Return beef to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Stir in olives. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until olives are heated through.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
- Test Kitchen Tips
- To cook in a slow cooker, combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture. Add beef, onions, oregano, fennel, wine, beef broth, tomatoes and tomato paste to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Stir until combined. Cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Stir in olives and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Served with mashed potatoes.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1 inch pieces. Buy our delicious stew beef here.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel seeds
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) garlic-seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 jar (7 ounces) green olives with pimentos, drained
Recipe/photo/information courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com