FILIPINO-STYLE BEEF STEW WITH SQUASH AND GREEN BEANS
- Total Recipe Time: LOW 6 to 8 hours
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Lightly coat beef in flour. Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Return beef to pot. Add onion, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce and fish sauce; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until brown bits attached to pan are dissolved. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Add squash; cover and continue cooking 30 minutes. Add beans; cook 6 to 9 minutes or until squash and beans are tender.
- Serve stew over rice and garnish with cilantro, as desired.
- Test Kitchen Tips
- Slow Cooker Variation: Add beef, onion, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, and fish sauce to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Add squash and beans 30 minute before end of cook time. Serve stew over rice and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds beef Chuck Roast, cut into 1-inch pieces. Get our flavorful Chuck Roast here.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
Recipe/photo/information courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com