SLOW COOKED WHISKEY-MOLASSES SHREDDED BEEF
- Total Recipe Time: LOW 6 to 8 hours
- Makes 8 servings.
- Place roast in 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Combine whiskey, 1/4 cup vinegar, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, molasses, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours, or until beef is, fork-tender.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Skim fat from sauce as needed. Return beef to slow cooker.
- To make the slaw: Combine remaining 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and mustard in large bowl. Add carrots and apples; mix well. Season with salt and black pepper as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve beef with slaw.
- Test Kitchen Tips
- Thinly sliced pears, celery, red cabbage, green cabbage or bell peppers, or a pre-packaged slaw mix can be used in place of the carrots or apples.
- 1 beef Bottom Round Roast or beef Chuck Center Roast (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces. Get round roast here or chuck roast here.
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (6 ounce can) tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 cups each shredded carrots and diced granny smith apple
Nutrition information per serving: 363 calories; 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 84 mg cholesterol; 725 mg sodium; 31 g carbohydrate; 5.0 g fiber; 31 g protein; 5.5 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 1.6 mcg vitamin B12; 4.9 mg iron; 31.8 mcg selenium; 5.0 mg zinc; 116.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.
Recipe/photo/information courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com