Skylar's Bulgogi (Korean Beef BBQ)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon Sambal or red pepper flakes
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- honey, salt, and pepper to taste
MEAT, SEASONING, AND MORE
- 1 pound grass fed beef filets, cold and sliced as thin as possible
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1. Place all marinade ingredients except honey, salt, and pepper in bowl and whisk 5-10 seconds. Add sliced beef and gently massage for about half a minute. Put in refrigerator uncovered 30 minutes or up to overnight.
2. Before cooking. add honey, salt, and pepper to taste.
3. Heat cast iron or other heavy skillet until scorching hot. Drizzle in sesame oil to coat the pan. When cooking, you want the beef to caramelize, so be sure not to crowd the pan and work in batches if you have to. Stir-fry beef until done, about 3 minutes or so, or until the beef has seared nicely. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.